Orpheus

Monday, February 25, 2008

Opening day of the opera was yesterday. Considering my intense headache and congestion, it went pretty well. Since I can't breathe through my nose, I was having to breathe much more often in my aria, and each breath was pretty big and gaspy......oh well.....We performed in the Napa Opera House. The theater is tiny, but it's beautiful and easy to sing in.

It was totally renovated a couple of years ago, so the dressing rooms are comfortable, spacious and numerous. The men all had to share one, since there are far fewer of them, but the women were divided up, with no more than 3 or 4 in each. The green room was comfy as well, and stocked with hot water, tea bags, coffee and fruit.

It was a very satisfactory performing experience. I only wish the audience had been more receptive. It was an awfully geriatric crowd, and many weren't laughing at the jokes. One woman in the 4th row slept through the whole thing......

I did have an adventure as I tried to leave, though. It rained yesterday, and I forgot to turn off my headlights when I arrived at the theater...4.5 hours later, when I got in the car, it wouldn't start! Oops......We keep jumper cables in the trunk, though, so I was able to grab another cast member with a car and get it started.

**********

I was home in time to watch most of the Oscars. I was really happy for Diablo Cody, who won best original screenplay for Juno, but I wished that it had been recognized more. It always seems that to win Oscars, you have to create some heavy, overly dramatic, overly grandiose kind of movie. Yes, I liked No Country for Old Men, but I really don't think that the acting was all that special.....oh well.....

I just about died of envy when I saw Helen Mirren's dress. I thought a lot of the fashion was nice, but all too similar. Then she walked out and took my breath away.


Amazing, right? I seem to remember the dress she wore last year as being pretty incredible, too. Plus she's an amazing actress and seems (in interviews at least) to be intelligent and funny and generally awesome.

...oh, am I drooling again?.....I'll try to stop, but it's just so preeeettttyyy......

2 comments:

Maggie Jochild said...

You are SO RIGHT about Helen Mirren's dress. I used to have a photo of her up by my desk when I worked at the cancer clinic, which caused some degree of talk -- because she's straight, you know, and they didn't think a dyke should be crushed out on her. But it's not that kind of a crush. She's brilliant, she's an extraordinary actress, and I can imagine her as a friend: Acerbic, curious, loyal. I especially enjoyed seeing Daniel Day-Lewis kneel in front of her when he won his award and having her "knight" him with his Oscar. She didn't hesitate. And when they walked off stage together arm-in-arm, she was making him laugh, his face radiant with pride. She IS regal.

I read today that Tilda Swinton (sp?), who won Best Actress, was there with her much younger boyfriend #2. Boyfriend #1, who is in his 60s, was at home in England with their 10-year-old twins. The three of them, plus the twins, all live together in a comfortable polyamorous household. You GO, girl.

kat said...

Tilda Swinton played Orlando, you know. I was trying to figure out if I've ever seen her in anything, and that was the only one of her movies that I've seen. Weird ass interpretation of the book, if I do say so.....

Helen Mirren wins the just-created award for being fabulous and generally awesome. You're totally right, see seems like such a "real," interesting, engaging human.

 
BITCHCRAFT - by Templates para novo blogger