Adventures in cookies

Friday, April 25, 2008

The Donne concert this evening!!! I'm excited, even though I woke up with a stuffy nose. Boyfriend has a cold, and despite my best efforts not to get it (these were made up of me screeching "Get your germs away from me!!!" every time he came withing a few feet of me), I have. Shit. I hope it's just a stuffy nose. If it gets any worse I'm screwed. Plus I hate singing with decongestants and all that in my system......grrr....

Yesterday afternoon, Mom and I baked. We made a batch of koulourakia, which is one of my favorite cookies. Orthodox Easter is Sunday, and the annual barbecue extravaganza is at her house this year. We wanted to make my Nouna's (godmother's) recipe, but we only have the rough proportions, since she took the exact ones to her grave in July (Eonia i mnimi aftis). We had to call one of her friends, another epicly old Greek lady, to find out the right ingredients.

Koulourakia are simple butter cookies with just a hint of orange or lemon zest. Some people claim that they should have sesame seeds on them, but I think that's heresy. Anyway, they're supposed to be perfect little twists, like this:


Mine, however, did not. Some were just misshapen little lumps, some looked like preschool attempts at play-dough. One, looked like this:
Heh. Heh heh......what does this look like to y'all??

Off to get ready for the gig, and contemplate whether to go to the gym....

2 comments:

Maggie Jochild said...

Orange-y cookies? You MUST post the recipe at Maoist Orange Cake!

And that twisty, lovey-dovey cookie, whoo, baby. Count me in.

Celeste Winant said...

your cookie is nekkid

 
BITCHCRAFT - by Templates para novo blogger